Monday, June 30, 2008

Stuff - In Memoriam - Thanks, George

(from 6/24/08)

Thank you so much for all your offers. At the moment we are unable to take anything at all. I'll let you know when we have any place to put things. I just canceled our utilities and phone, and am remembering little worrisome details. Did we lose any Netflix dvds? Did I remember to return the lemon juicer I'd borrowed? Had the book we ordered been delivered to our front step or is it still on its way? Is there still a mailbox and if so, are they still delivering mail?

In the last few days, especially on the long drive home, I've been taking a mental inventory of every drawer, shelf, closet, remembering what was where, wondering if I've forgotten anything. I'd just bought an amazingly cute vintage formica kitchen table, and on it were my checkbooks, address book, brochures for summer camps, a bowl of potatoes. The top shelf of my bookcase had first edition Alice & Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, a few shelves of my favorite lit fic, next was reference, the bottom was all art books and my writing (no backups, of course) on the edges were stacks of envelopes of photos, my girls scout pin collection, up on the top, a secret wooden box shaped like an apple that held Laurel's baby teeth. Her notes to the tooth fairy were in a folder on a shelf across the room, along with my favorites of her artwork. I've done this same imaginary inventory all over the house, going through each place and thing, saying goodbye. I've done the same all over my mother's house, and there each thing is associated with a story or memory either experienced by me or told to me by my mother. Laurel is doing the same, remembering Pokemon cards, American Girl dolls, glass figurines, stuffed animals, her school backpack.Generations of memories, and so much stuff.

Which brings us to George Carlin, some comic relief, and another goodbye:


No comments: